On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, David Stifter wrote:

> chuir mé aistriúchán ar an scéal agat as Sanas Cormaic. An bhfuil
> ceartúicháin air nó ar mo chuid Béarla agatsa? Muna bhfuil, is feidir
> leat é a chur ar aghaidh go dtí an liosta.

Your translation looks good to me, but I have a couple of questions
about the reading of the first sentences:

> > Rolil menma mná Cáier do Néde, dobert uball n-argait do Néde
> > ar a chairdess.  Ni forróet Nédiu co rothairngert sí ríghe dó
> > dar a éisi 7 dul cuci íarom.
>
> The mind of Cáier's wife was stuck on Néidiu. She gave a silver
> apple to Néidiu (as a token) of her love.

I read "ar a chairdess" as "in exchange for his love".

> Néidiu didn't accept it until
> she promised the kingdom to him in his (Cáier's) place (or: after
> him) and that he (Néidiu) might go to her (sexually) after that.

In the next line, "cuci", if we take the spelling at face value,
should mean "to him", so that "7 dul cuci íarom" would literally be
"and (her) going to him thereafter", rather than the other way around.
The fact is, of course, that "cuci, cuc(c)ai" (to him) and "cuicce,
cuccae" (to her) were not always kept very well sorted out, and the
man doing the "going to" might make more sense culturally.  The basic
meaning is the same either way: no sweaty sheets until the kingship
is handed over.

> > Dogní Néide glám ndicend dó
>
> Néidiu made a dícend satire (or a pun: a chiefless satire, a satire
> that made him without chief) about him

That's an interesting thought: a pun!  I have seen more different
explanations and interpretations of what "glám dícenn" means and
how it was enacted than I can keep track of.  Do we have any way
of knowing whether "dícenn" in "glám dícenn" is the forerunner of
the modern word "dícheannach" (headless, leaderless), or of "dígeann"
(extreme, extremity)?  I gather that in either sense, OI "dícenn"
was pronounced /d'i:g'eN/, so I suppose the ambiguity could have
been entirely deliberate and "poetically" desirable.

Dennis King