Dear Kelechi,

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Kelechi Eke wrote:

> Sunday,
> Unfortunately not everyone understood what I meant by 'struggle' but
> you did a good job identifying a couple of them in your last response.

I think you may be jumping to conclusion here! Many people lurk on this
list, who have been part of the struggle. Vocal Eberhard (what happened to
grumpy?) was together with them at the inception of most of the early
African networking initiatives. I know he's been to the Obafemi Awolowo
University, Ile-Ife assisting with manpower capacity building.

> You probably chose not to comment that it is luxury have a working
> telephone line and even up-to-date computers.

At the expense of repeating myself, if you were on the list a year or two
ago, when I wrote on Technology acquisition and consumption. I
consistently argued that it is not a sin to be given a computer by a
'Donor Agency'. [Warning: el - Keep off!!] The sin is being told that it
is 'state of the art', a greater sin (a.k.a folly) accepting it as the
state of the art!!!

Some 2 weeks ago in France, I and was tempted to buy a Cell phone (470FFr,
Equiv. US$75). Programmed handset and 200 units of talk time. I learnt it
will end up a museum piece, because the world now uses GSM (Digital), but
we still have TACS (Analog) in Nigeria. Wasn't GSM already drafted, if not
fully developed and operational when we installed our cells?

The Boo I got at the Nigeria Internet Conference in 1995 is still fresh in
my mind, when a guy I love to forget presented a paper about X25, and the
need for nigeria to adopt it as a standard for building a nation-wide
Network. I pronounced it dead, mentioned TCP/IP and got shelled!

We are not underdeveloped, we just do not want to stand up and walk!
Rather than see our inadequacies, we continue to sulk. How do those who
shop for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia do it?  They buy the latest gizzmos
and recruit the best brains in the world to operate them, then they travel
the world to show it off!! - I do not sulk over Africa's underdevelopment,

>  Well, the Truth is the fact that Nigeria and Africa as a whole is
> behind in Technology from whatever angle one looks at it and no aspect
> of it is amusing.

I beg to disagree. Isn't a Malian involved in some Mars probe? Will Mali
launch a rocket (not SAMs) in his lifetime? He is now a US citizen. Isn't
a Nigerian involved in some tough Cray programming? will his country
assemble a supercomputer in his lifetime? We are not behind, we are at the
forefront, its just that we are fighting the war in the opposite direction
(its still the right side!!).

> Thank goodness, there are people QUIETLY working to get us where we
> ought to be.  Let me also point out that a true "Prince" does not
> ridicle ANY part of the land where he is "Crowned." Have a pleasant
> week all.

True my friend. (Eberhard you need to keep quiet more!) I must say that
our goals are the same, what is different is the schemes. I caution that
we trade less of insults and more of ideas. This list has generated quite
a lot of ideas in the past, and will play a leading role in the things to
come.

Best Regards to all!

Sunday A. Folayan
General Data Engineering Services Ltd
18b, Oshin Rd, Kongi Bodija Ibadan, Nigeria
Office: +234-2-8105156
  Home: +234-2-8104187
 Email: [log in to unmask]
US Fax: 1-415-449-3514