=Date:          Wed, 16 Jun 1999 23:27:56 -0700
=From:          Clement Dzidonu <[log in to unmask]>
=Subject:       On the Question of Attachments
=To:            [log in to unmask]

Hi all

=Hello ALL!!
=
=One or two raised the question of attachments....
=
=Patrick..is of the view that...we set a message size
=limit of, say, 50K..
=
=Others may disagree.. The question is do we
=want to continue to allow attachments..? .
=
=Lets get some more soundings on this in the usual Afrik-it spirit.
=There may be other alternatives. We may want to avoid
=taking drastic measures..but again what are the options.

It seems to me that we must allow attachments because there are
occasions when these are usefull ways of forwarding interesting news
items.

Yes there is a risk of distributing a virus but at the individual
receipients end the risk of receiving one exists any way.

I saw the infamous posting and deleted immediately, only to be nagged
at by my Anti Virus staff who wanted to capture it for tests in the
lab!!

Without bringing in freedom of speech debates I really cannot see any
reason to impose restrictions. If we must then Dave Wilson's
suggestion of limiting the number of lines seems the best option.

Henry
(see signature for details)
=

=Lets hear from you..
=
=
=Best rgds.
=
=Clement
=
=
===================================
=Clement Dzidonu  PhD.
=President & CEO
=International Institute for
=Information Technology (INIIT)
=P.O Box AN-19782
=Accra-North
=Ghana
=
=Tel. 233-21-246200
=Fax. 233-21-763062
=e-mail: [log in to unmask]
=
"Its not the times we live in but the people who occupy the same time who cause problems!"

Henry C Watermeyer                         'Phone +27-11-716-3260/8000
Director - Computer & Network services     Fax    +27-11-339-1225
University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
P/Bag 3, Wits 2050, South Africa           mobile +27-(0)82-800-8862
                 //SunSITE.Wits.ac.za      //WWW.Wits.ac.za