I agree that this is a great way to use XML and XSL, though I'd say that
what you are really doing at the server side is producing a new document
by using XSL as a query language on the real source document. IMO it is
hard to draw a distinct line between querying a data source and
presenting it.

Using XSL as a query tool is in my opinion an interesting approach and I
really like Texcels, Webmethods and Microsofts joint proposal for XQL
(XML Query Language http://www.w3.org/TandS/QL/QL98/pp/xql.html). It
builds on the XSL syntax and adds some more capabilities.