IMO It does absolutely not defeat the purpose with XML. (my purpose
using it, that is)

The beauty with XML, as I see it, is the possibility to give the client
(it's not always a browser) the source document with the data and
structure intact. If you include a style sheet the client will be able
to present it visually if that is the intended use. (Search engines
probably shouldn't care about the style sheet)

If you convert to the presentation style before sending it, you could as
well use any storage format your script can process. I see server side
presentation processing mainly as a migration path towards handing the
source data to the client. That way you can start converting your source
data to XML. You can serve XML and html from the same source at the same
time, using separate URLs or http content negotiation. (Please correct
me if I'm wrong. I haven't checked that)

Fredrik Lindgren
Information systems consultant
Upright Engineering