>I am a novice to XML and just started with it. The one question which
always come to me is :
>Why do we need the well formed documents when a DTD associated with the
document can provide us better insight about the content of
>the document.

One reason is to enable alternative schema languages, or different forms of
validity checking (where validity means something different to XML 1.0
"valid")

> I suppose that just to reduce the network traffic. But can't we do it as
follows :
[proposal omitted - basically retrieve DTD only if needed]

Your proposal *can* be done right now. Just make your documents include a
Document Type Declaration that includes a public identifier as well as a
system identifier for an external DTD. If the recipient system doesn't know
the DTD (from the public identifier) it uses the system identifier to
retrieve it.

James
--
James Tauber / [log in to unmask] / www.jtauber.com
Associate Researcher, Electronic Commerce Network

Maintainer of : www.xmlinfo.com,  www.xmlsoftware.com and www.schema.net