Ronal Bourret writes:

[BTW can you please set your editor to wrap lines properly?]

> I think it would be very useful to use something else.  Many XML
> applications are written to process XML files that use a particular
> DTD.  Such applications can't process anything else, and using an
> application-specific file extension is one way to identify which
> files are available for the application to process.  For example, we
> use (by convention) .xsc to identify XSchema files.

By all means use something else for non-text files. I assumed that the
question was about XML instances containing user text. XSL
stylesheets, schemata, etc should probably use distinct file types
even if they are expressed in XML syntax, I assume.

///Peter