Simon writes:
[me]
> >Alas not even for the Web. Panorama has been available for four or
> >five years at least, maybe more.
>
> Yes, and SGML has been generally scorned as a Web format for four or five
> years at least, maybe more.

Yes, it was never designed as one, and speeds to do it justice have
really only been available in the last two years. XML should prove
far faster and easier. My point was just that to say these facilities
were unavailable before XML simply isn't true.

> However much XML may be a subset of SGML, XML has opened the door to new
> possibilities that SGML was just too big and unwieldy for.

Unfortunately some of the current developments seem determined to
make XML applications that are big and unwieldy also...

///Peter