Why not this:

the XML request PDU is a MIME message with a content-type: text/xml sent via
HTTP: to a particular web page i.e.
HTTP/1.0 POST /page

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<doc>
</doc>

and the response PDU is another XML MIME message.

This is fairly simple and gets the job done. The contents of the XML MIME
message body are left to the "page" to interpret.

Jonathan Borden
JABR Technology Corp.
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net