The following point raises a very interesting theoretical issue re.
XML/XSL:

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Fredrik Lindgren wrote:

> I agree that this is a great way to use XML and XSL, though I'd say that
> what you are really doing at the server side is producing a new document
> by using XSL as a query language on the real source document. IMO it is
> hard to draw a distinct line between querying a data source and
> presenting it.

Currently, to my knowledge, there are no search enginces or plug-ins which
will search within an XML document to, say, extract the material falling
within tag "x", or all authors (<author></author>) named James
(<author>James</author>), thus use of the XML tagged data identification
in a text-based data resource (e.g., academic article, etc.) can only be
selectively displayed through multiple style sheets (cf. MS IE5beta
presentation at GCA '98).

If I am incorrect, please let me know of such a search engine.  Otherwise,
I am curious if anyone else has encountered this query/rendering
tag-exploitation issue.

jr gardner

John Robert Gardner, Ph.D.
http://vedavid.org/diss/
Obermann Center         &    The Graduate College
  for Advanced Studies
               The University of Iowa
"Your dreams must always lead you beyond comfort"