At 05:40 PM 12/3/98 +0000, Julian Burman wrote:
>>"Hunting, Sam" <[log in to unmask]> on 03/12/98 16:28:22
>>How about a "pure" (dread word) XML site where XML would be visible where
>This would defeat the purpose of XML. XML defines a document's data and
>structure, not its style and appearance. A script, whether in Perl,
>JavaScript, or whatever, extraxts data from the XML database, and presents
>it to the browser in a style defined by a style sheet, for example XSL.

I think 'defeat the purpose of XML' is an odd way to express this, unless
you've defined XML's purposes very narrowly.  An XML document can be
displayed using a 'light' style sheet, for instance CSS, and become
visible/styled while retaining its data structures.  It'd look nice in the
browser (IE5/Mozilla) and remain XML in 'View Source' without defeating
anything.

I'll be moving my Web site to that model when enough of the world has
XML/CSS capable browsers.  Maybe I'll use XSL, but that'd be overkill for
what I want/need to do now.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Cookies
Sharing Bandwidth (December)