My very kind thanks for your information.  I realized I'd not formed my
question very well (pun intended), but ^x had already left my neurons and
so the letter went forth.

Where might I get the XML TEI spec?  I'm working on an academic digital
diss. project and need--wherever possible--to be TEI conformant for
various reasons, including--most of all--not reinventing the wheel.

Oh, but on the <P> point, since SGML ALLOWS a close tag, again, if I use
namespaces for say making <tei:P>, and always close each </P>, does that
work or not?  If it seems redundant, please be merciful, I'm a Sanskritist
and their syntax wore me out so I'm a bit punchy with xml's language!

JR Gardner
http://vedavid.org/xml/