I have sent XML between client and servers in two ways in some systems:

1. As a string data type with CORBA IIOP, between a CORBA client and
a CORBA server.

2. With HTTP between a Java applet and a Java servlet, as a String object
which Java serializes automatically. I suppose you could send the Document
Object on the stream between the applet and servlet aswell, as long as you use
the same XML parser on both sides.

Dan Wiklund