There also the Dublin Core Initiative http://purl.oclc.org/dc/ . We've made
use of some of the elements to mark-up official letters, in the <HEAD>
element of an HTML document, and used a search engine that restricted its
search to those meta-tags. The principle should apply to XML documents as
well.

We do have a big advantage: the search engine is for searches of our
internal site only, so we know what tags are being used and who will be
doing the searches. This is difficult to achieve on a web wide basis. While
it might be possible to dynamically generate a list of tags in use, I really
<escritor>, <writer>, etc. All of which are legitimate ways to express the
concept. It may be that a series of domain and even language specific
dialects develop because the participants in that area of knowledge agree,
formally or otherwise,  that is how to proceed.

Vincent Daneker
Information Management