I am a bit confused about the XML DOM. The DOM is an API allowing programs
and scripts to dynamically access and update the structure and style of
documents. So far so good. This means that once your documents is recieved
for example by a browser and have been parsed, you have access to this
documents tree and can manipulate it.

But does this XML document and its parsed 'tree' just disapear once your
browser goes on to the next document? I understand that this is a matter of
how the vendors implement this, but I am trying to understand whether the
recommandation from the W3C says anything about this, which according to me
does not. An idea would be to build a 'big' tree of all the documents
parsed, where for instance each document would be a subtree. In this way
these document trees are being cached and can be accessed later.

There is however the problem with dynamically generated documents, like
search results etc, but that would be dealt with the same way that it's done
in today's HTML and DHTML, by not leting it be cached (merged to the 'big'
tree). comments?