"Kaiman, Charlie" <[log in to unmask]> writes

> I have an Entity declaration that was developed from an SGML DTD, and I'm
> hoping to make it compatible with XML.  Can someone help me?
>
> <!ENTITY % ISOlat1  PUBLIC  "ISO 8879-1986//ENTITIES Added Latin 1//EN">
> %ISOlat1;
> <!ENTITY % ISOnum   PUBLIC  "ISO 8879-1986//ENTITIES Numeric and Special
> Graphic//EN">
> %ISOnum;
>
> I keep getting a 'white space' error in IE 5.0 beta 2 when I use this in my
> DTD.

XML _mandates_ the use of SYSTEM identifiers: PUBLIC identifiers are an
optional (good idea) extra, so you need either:

   <!ENTITY % ISOlat1 PUBLIC "ISO 8879-1986//ENTITIES Added Latin 1//EN"
        "http://clerk.house.gov/sgml/entities/isolat1.ent">

or

   <!ENTITY % ISOlat1 SYSTEM
        "http://clerk.house.gov/sgml/entities/isolat1.ent">

(both for network usage), or

   <!ENTITY % ISOlat1 SYSTEM "your/path/to/isolat1.ent">

(for offline [local] usage). Then the %ISOlat1; as before. The point it
that the parser must be able (a) to resolve the identifier to a filename
or URL and (b) actually to find that file and open it.

But I don't know if this is what IE is complaining about.

///Peter