The searching power that this addition to conventional search engines
will afford us will be great. Some editors (FM+SGML) and browsers
(Dyntext) currently offer this sort of functionality.

The primary problem with offering XML-enhanced search engines is that
users won't know which elements to search for. You may have defined your
author element as 'author', but I may have defined it as 'auth' or
<PERSON role="author">. We could establish a
tag library, with standardized element names for search engines, or rely
on RDF. Comments?

Richard.