> Currently, to my knowledge, there are no search enginces or plug-ins which
> will search within an XML document to, say, extract the material falling
> within tag "x", or all authors (<author></author>) named James
> (<author>James</author>), thus use of the XML tagged data identification
> in a text-based data resource (e.g., academic article, etc.) can only be
> selectively displayed through multiple style sheets (cf. MS IE5beta
> presentation at GCA '98).

Any SGML-based search system will handle such searches easily, and
there are several systems available to do this, both for online and
offline work, but they are not currently implemented within the
well-known public URL-based search services on the Web.

Any recent (ie XML-compliant) Synex-based browser plugin (eg MultiDoc
or Panorama, if they support XML) will trivially search a document
locally, as will (of course) DynaText, but these facilities are based
on a search button in the browser, not on an automated search facility
of a stylesheet (as far as I have seen).

///Peter