The name MacQuarrie derives from the name 'son of Guaire'. Guaire means
'the proud one'.  Kinsmen to the MacKinnons.  Closely related by
marriage with MacLeans.  MacKinnons and MacQuarries are believed to be
kindred of St. Columba.  Both are part of the Siol Alpin clans and are
descendeded through the Kings of Dalriada from Niall of the Nine
Hostages.   Nial reigned at Tara in 400 AD.
        Early lands were on Ulva Island (near IOna) and in Mull.  Followers of
the MacDonald Lords of the Isles