Thomas Pratt was asking about the venerable Michea/l O/ hAlmha/in Whistle
Tutor, which happened to be my first book  of instruction.  I ordered it
out of Treoir in about 1974;  I believe it was compiled a couple of years
earlier.  It was indeed a CCE production, and came with a very good
accompanying tape.  Each long and short roll was exemplified by a tune.
For example The Green Fields of Rossbeigh (or Kerry Reel) introduced the
long E roll, The Earl's Chair served for the short B roll, etc. Michea/l
played each of the tunes slowly as written, then repeated  them at speed
with variations.  There were some lovely airs included.
        I am not sure if the Tutor is still in print.  A friend of mine was able
to find one in a U.S. store about five years ago.  My copy and tape
disappeared several moves ago.  Philippe Varlet may be able to see if the
House of Musical Traditions still carries it in Maryland.  I don't see it
in Lark in the Morning catalog.
        Michea/l may be heard on flute and whistle on The Crooked Road, an
(early 70s?) Gael-linn LP of  E/amon de Buitle/ar agus Ceolto/ir/i
Laighean, which also included James Kelly and his father, John, Mary
Bergin, Paddy Glackin, Peter Phelan on  pipes, and Aileen McCrann on
harp.  Dairmuid O/ Su/illeabha/in and Sea/n O/ Liatha/in were featured
singers.  The recording was made of a concert in aid of Scoil Du/n Chaoin
at University College, Dublin.  Se/amus Ennis wrote in the liner notes: "
In the sense of the word nowadays Ceolto/ir/i Laighean are not a group as
such but a company of musicians such as would foregather in
neighbourliness to derive pleasure from playing in unison--and a stroke
of good fortune comes the way of those who hear their strains.  What they
have does not at all flavour of other directed and meticulously rehearsed
groups [could he have been referencing the Chieftains? FC] and it is no
wonder how they inspired their audience, who are also present to be heard
on this record..."
     Anyone know if this recording is out on CD?

                                                Frank Claudy