Well said, Jim.

Here in Ireland Paddy Clancy's passing was marked with tributes
in the papers and on the radio and TV news - and rightly so.  He
had taken up farming in his native County Waterford, and was
apparently a very popular figure locally, singing for free in the
local pub the same songs he used to get paid big bucks to perform,
and also making sure everyone else got a chance to sing too.
I think the news said he was 76.

The Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem were a big favourite in
our house when I was a kid, and they were the first Irish music
performers I could relate to.  Sure, it wasn't "pure drop", but it
was a lot of fun, and like many others, I later went on to fall in
love with Irish music in its other aspects - but I might not have
been drawn to it in the first place if it wasn't for the lads in the
Aran sweaters.  And it was great to have some of "our own" to
bop along to as well as American folk revival performers like Pete
Seeger, Joan Baez and all those.

- Paul.