>Is this typical of most simple wooden Irish flutes without keys, which are
>sometimes designed to play strongly only in the key of D?  This flute does
>have entension beyond low D with two lower holes to vent the very conical
>lower end.

Yes, this is typical.  Unless they have keys, the wooden flutes are
designed mainly to play in their primary key.  Although I can't say I
noticed that my E was particularly week, I can't remember a single time
when I've tried an Fnatural cross fingering.

Advice:

Get on one of those waiting lists, they aren't getting any shorter.

Cherish that strong low D, if there's any one thing that can be considered
"most important" that's it.

Gary Chapin