        If Celtic is largely pronounced "seltick" in the States, whether by "dumb
jocks," riverboat  deckhands, or by lovers of Cel-zak, it is only because
English speakers are not accustomed to pronouncing a "hard c" ("k") before
an "e" or an "i."  And any self-respecting Scotsmen familiar with the rules
of Gaeilge will be most apt to pronounce the word "keltick," as I think all
of their c's are hard.  Scots ignorant of Gaeilge will, I'll bet, pronounce
the "c" as "s," like, I'll guess, their Brit neighbors to the south.
        And let's not leave out eastern Europeans, who from a certain utterly
untenable standpoint have more of a right to the Celts than any of you.  I
think there are some of them who will want to pronounce "celtic" as
"cheltick."
        So that just about settles it.
        Any further contributions to this thread, unless accompanied by a
ridiculously long list of Ph.D.'s, D.LL.'s, M.BL.'s, etc., will be assumed
to be nothing more than self-indulgent claptrap.
        S. Langhorne Clemens, Peregrinus Aquafluvius