At 01:21 PM 11/30/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anyone care to do a review of the Irish musical groups DANU & KILA?
>What is there instrumention, etc? Are they traditional? I know HMT carries
>two  KILA CD's, but I didn't see DANU listed in the catalog. Can it be
>ordered from HMT or elsewhere?

Kila doesn't really play trad. Irish. Here is my review of one of their albums:

KILA: TOG E GO BOG E (Kila). We are getting further and further away from
traditional music, here. Maybe it's unfair to try to categorize them this
way, but I hear Kila as a sort of Moving Hearts/Deiseal taken over by Peter
Gabriel who would be singing in Gaelic. It has that sort of ecclectism,
African and other exotic percussions (including Llama toe-nails, my
favorite), hip-hop inflections with Gaelic lyrics, wild instrumental
excursions on pipes, fiddle, low-whistle, and flute. And they even have a
few tunes penned by fiddler Dee Armstrong and whistle player Rossa O
Snodaigh that sound like reels--the latter's "Spank the Monkey" and "Double
Knuckle Shuffle" (kind of a primate theme?), recorded with slide whistles
and assorted "silly percussion," are the most successful.

Philippe Varlet