Marion Gunn wrote:

> scríobh Dennis King
> > >
> > > Additional factoid: The famous name Beowulf is partly cognate
> > > with "bodb"!
> > >

> > Interesting.  I would have guessed a compound of "beow", servant,
> > and "wulf", wolf, just working from an OE word-list.
> >
> > Gary Ingle
>
> Mise, leis (= me, too) Gary -- that particular 'factoid' also feels dead
> wrong to me (as someone familiar from her youth with badhb, et al.) but
> we could both be wrong on that point -- all I'm offering here is gut
> reaction, as I certainly would NOT consider myself, as of yet, competent
> enough in the handling of OE wordlists to disprove the 'cognate' theory
> offered above.
> mg

  As far as I remember, Beoulf is derived from O.E. beo "bee". So the name
is "one who is like a wolf among bees", thats a kenningar instead "bear"
(cp. the Slavic words, meaning "honey-eater", too).
(That's from a German translation of the book. Unfortunately I have not yet
the bibliographical information.)

Christian Chiarcos