From: "David Johnston" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: "Partnerships and Participation in Telecommunications for Rural Development: Exploring What Works and Why," - October 26 & 27, 1998
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 08:32:31 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0031_01BD7CB7.56C74040

I am contacting you regarding in relation to our upcoming conference at =
the University of Guelph: "Partnerships and Participation in =
Telecommunications for Rural Development: Exploring What Works and Why," =
- October 26 & 27, 1998
(Conference info below).

As one of the conference coordinators, I would like to invite you to =
participate at this event.=20

>From your experiences and contacts, could you recommend and provide =
contact information for other candidates who have experience in rural =
telecommunications, rural telecentres, or rural Internet applications?=20

We are putting together a list of key speakers who can provide =
orientation and relate case study experiences to catalyze discussion at =
each of four 1/2 day workshops.  Your SUGGESTIONS FOR KEY SPEAKERS are =
most welcome. =20

The workshops are designed to generate specific recommendations to =
enhance rural telecommunication project planning. =20

The workshops  include:
a) Reviewing the Past: Communication for Development Lessons Learned
b) Telecommunications for Rural Development Today: Generating Results
c) Future Directions: Recommendations for Project Planning
d) Measuring Rural Development Impact: How and What to Measure?

Thanks in advance for your help!  =20

You will be receiving conference registration information shortly - =
meanwhile, feel free to publicize the conference in your travels=20

David Johnston
Don Snowden Program for Development Communication
School of Rural Extension Studies
Faculty of Environmental Design and Rural Development
University of Guelph
Guelph, Ontario, Canada   N1G 2W1
Tel: 519-821-5787 ext 267  Fax: 519-837-9883
Email: [log in to unmask]

       A Conference at the University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
                          October 26 & 27, 1998
         Online Pre-Conference: October 1 - 21 (dates to be confirmed)

The Don Snowden Program for Development Communication at the University =
of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada, is planning a conference for =
mid-October, 1998. Our working title is "Partnerships and Participation =
in
Telecommunications for Rural Development: Exploring What Works and Why".

The conference will focus on telecommunication technology for =
participatory rural development in the Canadian context, but also with =
an eye to seeing how lessons-learned in Canada might be applied by =
people in developing countries.

This venture is sponsored by the University of Guelph, Industry Canada,
Foundation for International Training, Telecommons Development Group and
the International Development Research Centre (IDRC).  Inquiries about
further sponsorship are most welcome.

There will be a 3 week online pre-conference from October 1 to 21 =
followed
by 2 days at the University of Guelph on October 26 and 27.

The late Don Snowden played a critical role in the development of the
participatory video process through his experiences, first in Fogo =
Island,
Newfoundland, and then the Arctic, India and Africa. This movement =
spawned many other participatory uses of technology in rural development =
in Canada and around the world. In our attempts to answer the needs of =
vast rural areas, Canadians have developed some innovative and enduring =
approaches to using technology for rural development. Many of the =
Canadian successes have been transferred successfully to developing =
country scenarios.

The online pre-conference will provide opportunities to review these =
past
efforts and present some uses of communication technology in rural =
areas.
We envision it covering three main areas.

1) Lessons Learned from Past and Present Participatory Rural Development
Strategies - Through the online pre-conference, we will set the Don
Snowden legacy into the modern Canadian context of telecommunications.
This will involve revisiting some of what we've learned from the past -
the Fogo Island experiences, the Challenge for Change program, Farm =
Radio Forum, etc. - and finding ways to integrate what works with the =
new
potentials offered by rural telecommunications.

2) Current Rural Development Activities Involving Telecommunications &
Internet - This will include topics such as Community Access =
"Telecentres"
and Community Media Centres in Canada, Africa, Asia and Latin America;
current rural telecommunication improvement initiatives in Canada and
developing countries; new ICTs for learning and service (Distance
Education, Telemedicine, Professional Development, etc.).

3) Future Activities: Building on Lessons Learned - This is our forum =
for
applying lessons learned to new telecommunications and Internet
technologies for rural development.

The face-to-face conference on October 26 and 27 will address some
of the potentials of rural telecommunications. It will focus discussion =
on
concerns such as improving rural telecommunications policy to realize
"universal service", improving rural telecommunications and internet
project planning, and identifying opportunities for collaboration among
rural stakeholders.

A wide variety of people with "hands-on" experience in Canada and =
overseas will be attending to make presentations and participate in the =
workshops.

Conference cost is $349 (Cdn).  Registration information will be made
available to interested participants in late May, 1998.  Participation =
in
the on-line pre-conference will be free.

The call for participation will be sent out in early May; you are =
encouraged to request a copy via email or post from Wendelin Galatianos, =
conference administrative officer, at [log in to unmask] For more =
information on the conference contact Susan Rimkus, conference =
co-coordinator, at [log in to unmask]

------=_NextPart_000_0031_01BD7CB7.56C74040

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>I am contacting you regarding in relation to our upcoming =
conference at the=20
University of Guelph: &quot;Partnerships and Participation in =
Telecommunications=20
for Rural Development: Exploring What Works and Why,&quot; - October 26 =
&amp;=20
27, 1998<BR>(Conference info below).<BR><BR>As one of the conference=20
coordinators, I would like to invite you to participate at this=20
event.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>From your experiences and contacts, could you recommend and provide =
contact=20
information for other candidates who have experience in rural=20
telecommunications, rural telecentres, or rural Internet=20
applications?&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We are putting together a list of key speakers who can provide =
orientation=20
and relate case study experiences to catalyze discussion at each of four =
1/2 day=20
workshops.&nbsp; Your SUGGESTIONS FOR KEY SPEAKERS are most =
welcome.&nbsp;=20
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The workshops are designed to generate specific recommendations to =
enhance=20
rural telecommunication project planning.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The workshops&nbsp; include:<BR>a) Reviewing the Past: =
Communication for=20
Development Lessons Learned<BR>b) Telecommunications for Rural =
Development=20
Today: Generating Results<BR>c) Future Directions: Recommendations for =
Project=20
Planning<BR>d) Measuring Rural Development Impact: How and What to=20
Measure?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for your help!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>You will be receiving conference registration information shortly - =

meanwhile, feel free to publicize the conference in your travels </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>David Johnston</DIV>
<DIV>Don Snowden Program for Development Communication<BR>School of =
Rural=20
Extension Studies<BR>Faculty of Environmental Design and Rural=20
Development<BR>University of Guelph<BR>Guelph, Ontario, =
Canada&nbsp;&nbsp; N1G=20
2W1<BR>Tel: 519-821-5787 ext 267&nbsp; Fax: 519-837-9883<BR>Email: <A=20
href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A><BR><BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
A Conference at the University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario,=20
Canada<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
October 26 &amp; 27, =
1998<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
Online Pre-Conference: October 1 - 21 (dates to be confirmed)<BR><BR>The =
Don=20
Snowden Program for Development Communication at the University of =
Guelph,=20
Guelph, Ontario, Canada, is planning a conference for mid-October, 1998. =
Our=20
working title is &quot;Partnerships and Participation =
in<BR>Telecommunications=20
for Rural Development: Exploring What Works and Why&quot;.<BR><BR>The =
conference=20
will focus on telecommunication technology for participatory rural =
development=20
in the Canadian context, but also with an eye to seeing how =
lessons-learned in=20
Canada might be applied by people in developing countries.<BR><BR>This =
venture=20
is sponsored by the University of Guelph, Industry Canada,<BR>Foundation =
for=20
International Training, Telecommons Development Group and<BR>the =
International=20
Development Research Centre (IDRC).&nbsp; Inquiries about<BR>further =
sponsorship=20
are most welcome.<BR><BR>There will be a 3 week online pre-conference =
from=20
October 1 to 21 followed<BR>by 2 days at the University of Guelph on =
October 26=20
and 27.<BR><BR>The late Don Snowden played a critical role in the =
development of=20
the<BR>participatory video process through his experiences, first in =
Fogo=20
Island,<BR>Newfoundland, and then the Arctic, India and Africa. This =
movement=20
spawned many other participatory uses of technology in rural development =
in=20
Canada and around the world. In our attempts to answer the needs of vast =
rural=20
areas, Canadians have developed some innovative and enduring approaches =
to using=20
technology for rural development. Many of the Canadian successes have =
been=20
transferred successfully to developing country scenarios.<BR><BR>The =
online=20
pre-conference will provide opportunities to review these =
past<BR>efforts and=20
present some uses of communication technology in rural areas.<BR>We =
envision it=20
covering three main areas.<BR><BR>1) Lessons Learned from Past and =
Present=20
Participatory Rural Development<BR>Strategies - Through the online=20
pre-conference, we will set the Don<BR>Snowden legacy into the modern =
Canadian=20
context of telecommunications.<BR>This will involve revisiting some of =
what=20
we've learned from the past -<BR>the Fogo Island experiences, the =
Challenge for=20
Change program, Farm Radio Forum, etc. - and finding ways to integrate =
what=20
works with the new<BR>potentials offered by rural =
telecommunications.<BR><BR>2)=20
Current Rural Development Activities Involving Telecommunications=20
&amp;<BR>Internet - This will include topics such as Community Access=20
&quot;Telecentres&quot;<BR>and Community Media Centres in Canada, =
Africa, Asia=20
and Latin America;<BR>current rural telecommunication improvement =
initiatives in=20
Canada and<BR>developing countries; new ICTs for learning and service=20
(Distance<BR>Education, Telemedicine, Professional Development, =
etc.).<BR><BR>3)=20
Future Activities: Building on Lessons Learned - This is our forum=20
for<BR>applying lessons learned to new telecommunications and=20
Internet<BR>technologies for rural development.<BR><BR>The face-to-face=20
conference on October 26 and 27 will address some<BR>of the potentials =
of rural=20
telecommunications. It will focus discussion on<BR>concerns such as =
improving=20
rural telecommunications policy to realize<BR>&quot;universal =
service&quot;,=20
improving rural telecommunications and internet<BR>project planning, and =

identifying opportunities for collaboration among<BR>rural=20
stakeholders.<BR><BR>A wide variety of people with &quot;hands-on&quot;=20
experience in Canada and overseas will be attending to make =
presentations and=20
participate in the workshops.<BR><BR>Conference cost is $349 =
(Cdn).&nbsp;=20
Registration information will be made<BR>available to interested =
participants in=20
late May, 1998.&nbsp; Participation in<BR>the on-line pre-conference =
will be=20
free.<BR><BR>The call for participation will be sent out in early May; =
you are=20
encouraged to request a copy via email or post from Wendelin Galatianos, =

conference administrative officer, at <A=20
href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>. For more=20
information on the conference contact Susan Rimkus, conference =
co-coordinator,=20
at <A=20
href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>.</DIV></DIV><=
/DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV></DIV>
<DIV =
align=3Dright>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0031_01BD7CB7.56C74040--