At 0:57 +0100 27/6/97, Max Freund wrote:

>>   The capital cities of Cape Verde, Comoros, Equatorial Guinea,
>>Libya, Mauritania, Sao Tome and Principe, Somalia and Western
>>Sahara still do not have full Internet connectivity, nor do they
>>have any known plans of getting hooked up soon, say experts at the
>>Global Knowledge Forum being held here.

And you can forget about Libya getting in any time soon.
I don't think Sudan is connected either.

[...]
>>   ''There is no point in having full Internet access unless there
>>is content,'' Mike Jensen, an independent Internet  consultant
>>based in Johannesburg, South Africa, told the conference, co-
>>hosted by the World Bank and the Canadian government.

That's highly debateable. Actually it's counterproductive.
You need connectivity to have content. If you wait for content
you'll become dependent anyway.

[...]

>>   Out of the countries now with full Internet connectivity, only
>>Burkina Faso, Mauritius, Morocco, Senegal, South Africa and
>>Zimbabwe have local dial-up facilities outside of their major
>>cities.

I don't think this is altogether true. In South Africa the
local dial ins are virtually only in the urban centers.

In Namibia we have the coast on line (and a whole province
is able to dial there through local phone calls due to a peculiarity
of the telephone network). And we are about to have a national
number which will allow local dial in from anywhere (I understand
X25 technology will be used to reach the ISP)...

>>   In this regard, Venancio Massingue, director of the Computer
>>Centre at the Eduardo Mondlane University in Mozambique, took a
>>swipe at some donor agencies. These, he said, are only interested
>>in wiring African capitals, where the country offices of
>>international institutions such as the World Bank and
>>International Monetary Fund, and expatriate communities are based.

Remember the other day, this rubbish article about
the World Bank wiring Mozambique? I totally agree with
Venancio ...

[...]

>>   Some projects have taken off to develop relevant content such
>>as an initiative by the UN Educational Scientific and Cultural
>>Organisation (UNESCO) to transfer printed material in African
>>libraries onto the Net, an InfoDev programme in South Africa to
>>produce secondary school material and Health-net, which is trying
>>to bring health information to doctors in Africa.

Puleeeze!!!!!

>>   However, African Internet watchers fear that the sector will
>>soon be dominated by commercial interests and this will further
>>marginalise the poor majority. What is emerging is that large
>>Western service providers such as CompuServe, EUnet and Global One
>>are moving onto the continent and are likely to grab a substantial
>>share of the market there.(end/ips/gm/kb/97)

Interesting that, EUnet is not involved other then
having been bought by UUnet which has a strong
share in local ISPs (Internet Africa). Global One
is coming in strongly.

I still have this bet going that out of the 25 Million $US
for Leland 24 will go back north...

el

--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse\         /              Swakopmund State Hospital
<[log in to unmask]>         *        |               Resident Medical Officer