RE >>CELLPHONES: WHAT'S THE FUSS ABOUT?

having tried unsuccessfully to make use of Bulawayo's statically challenged
telephone lines to dial into my ISP in South AFrica whilst I was there in
December 1996 I have to concur with the original writer's comments on Cell
Phone techonology and it's implications in Zimbabwe. There is little doubt
that the PTC's monopoly over telephone services in that country is due for a
major shakeup. Whilst there about 5 years ago I visited a former school chum
who had started a computer business, I enquired how he was doing, fine, was
his response, it's just a pity though that I haven't a phone and to be
honest I am not prepared to bribe someone to have one installed - enough
said ? Recent commentary in the Zimbabwean Independent highlighted the fact
that the Zimbabwean authorities were NOT actually looking to empower ethnic
entrepeneurs but rather looking to empower family members. The commentary
(those familiar with Muckraker know what i talking about) suggested that if
Strive Masiyiwa was related to Mugabe he might have had more success. South
Africa has proved that Cellular Networks are a socially responsible and
economically viable business provided regulation is not excessive and also
provided the SP's see to it that they get their credit control right first
time round ! The relative openness of Zimbabwe's economy in the last few
years has spawned a credit sassy consumer/vendor community that competes
most favourably with any first world country. Shouldn't these same people be
empowered with communications technology ?

Clinton Jones
            OverSeas Publications
 PO Box 12292, Centrahil, 6006, South Africa
   Port Elizabeth's Mediastore on the Web
               www.osp.co.za
[log in to unmask] Fax/Tel: +27 41 560774