> Date:          Sat, 21 Dec 1996 09:59:22 PST
> From:          Scott Robert Ladd <[log in to unmask]>

a few words on this:

> 1) Celts invented the toilet! In the Orkney Islands, at Skara
> Brae, archaeologists found furniture and lavatories dating from
> 3000 BC. The furniture includes beds, dressers, tables, and other
> items built from stone (the beds were filled with moss).

Skara Brae is Neolithic, not Celtic. It is, according to most
theories, even pre-Indoeuropean, as such even much more pre-Celtic.

> 3) The oldest known evidence of deep-sea fishing comes from Oban,
> Strathclyde, Scotland, where archaeologists found bones from
> fish species that don't come near shore. A paddle found in
> Yorkshire suggests that the Celts had animal-skin, sea-going
> boats as early as 8500 BC.

Same as above. Just to clear it up a little bit more: We have no
Indoeuropeans before 3000 BC most probably, and therefore no Celts
prior to about 1500 BC as the earliest possible dating (much more
likely is a dating for the first Celts at about 1000BC-800BC).
Therefore - no Celts 8500BC.

> 4) And of course, we have Saint Brendan of Ireland, who reached
> the "New World" in a curragh (leather longship) in the 7th
> century AD. In 1978, Tim Severin and his fellow explorers
> crossed the Atlantic from Ireland to America in a replica of
> Brendan's vessel.

This is possible, but there is no proof for it. There's not even a
hint for it, as the Imarama Sancti Brendani describes a spiritual
journey, not a physical, as it is a christianised version of a
"travel to the otherworld" story.

> 5) Celts were experts at creating bronze mirrors, 2000 years ago.

So were the Egyptians, 2500 years before that. And a lot of other
peoples since then.

> 6) And of course: Celts were some of the earliest, and most
> expert brewers.

Earliest? No. Expert? Yes (we have more than 25 old Celtic words for
beer that came down on us).

RAY