Christmas Greetings, and especially to those parish priests who have been
completing their sacramental duties with the elderley and the
hospitalised and now have their Christmas schedule of worship.

I came across this and offer it to you all as we say our prayers once
again
in a slightly edgy - but determined to celebrate Christmas - Belfast.

In her new book written with Luci Shaw, Winter Song,
Madeleine L'Engle reflects on the reality of the
Christ child then and now:

     This is no time for a child to be born,
     With the Earth betrayed by war and hate
     And a comet slashing the sky to warn
     That time runs out and the sun burns late.

     That was no time for a child to be born
     In a land in the crushing grip of Rome
     Honor and truth were trampled by scorn --
     Yet here did the Saviour make his home.

     When is the time of love to be born?
     The inn is full on planet earth,
     Any by a comet the sky is torn --
     Yet Love still takes the risk of birth.

regards,

REV CANON DR HOUSTON McKELVEY  CHURCH OF IRELAND EDUCATION OFFICER
e-mail: [log in to unmask]                         Tel: Belfast 682946