In a message dated 12/10/96, Moira wrote:

>For example, when I tried to get funding for a Celtic dance group, the arts
>adminstrator argued with me for 20 minutes that the Irish do not have a
>culture, that they are "white" and not deserving of grants, and that the
>Irish do not belong in the multiculture.>>>

My grandmother once told me that when she moved to America, she was told by
everyone to subdue her accent, forget the old language, and try to blend in.
 She also told me that all of her friends from Ireland did the same thing,
including not telling their kids anything about their heritage.  It was
enough just to be an American.  While I DO feel privileged to be a US
Citizen, I am saddened by the fact that so many Irish weren't more tenacious
about holding onto their cultural identity.   This is a lesson which we can
learn from other cultures who immigrate to America.  Many of them have
managed to blend in, without diluting where they came from.  And isn't that
what 'mulit-culturalism' is all about?

Mic Duggan