Dr Lisse Wrote:
> There is quite a lot of hysteria *ABOUT* the web, not *OVER* (meaning
> posted on the Web sites).

I think I got you wrong there! Sorry. The hysteria about the web is by those
who don't know, or are just getting to know.

Papers such as "The Psychological influence of the Internet on Newspaper
Editors" will not be out of place for a PhD Thesis. In any case, this
thread started from "Internet influence on Rural development" some degree
was in view.

> Everyone now rushes onto the Web, hyperventilates about which browser
> is the best and so on.

Dr Lisse, this is a fact of life! There was a lot of hysteria about the US
lottery. Everybody here tried to see if it can work for them. Most are those
who never will qualify.

> Even government Ministers who should be concerned with getting
> Internet into schools worry about their lack of visibility

Government caused a courier company here, to tender a public apology, because
they insinuated that the NIPOST (Nigeria Postal Service) will not get those
applications to the US on time. They made a lot of money! Of course, NIPOST
wanted a bite of the goody too, and were worried of their own visibility.

> Make no mistake, WWW is a great toy, but it is very much overrated.

Windows 95 was overrated! It is still a great toy! I get it to break always.
Now I am back to plain old Win311. It even seems much faster.

>> BTW: I suppose you run on Linux? Another of those great software toys?
> Well, it's a great platform, but only after several years have I found
> a data base system that comes close to being usable. I have tried
> ingess and postgress and some of the other small ones, but only
> recently found msql, which is fascinating. Hooks well into HTML, by
> the way :-)-O.

You keep confirming my thinking that your being a Medical Doctor is a good
time consuming hobby :-)-O. Thanks for this great info. I will see if I can
use it. Now for the Foolish question (don't mind my naivity) was there an
antegress?

> I'm one of those guys who write letters with emacs and TeX...

I am ever fanscinated! I look forward to an i2i meeting! You certainly must
be wearing a beard!!!

Astaluego

Sunday A. Folayan