Sunday,

> Dr Lisse Responded:
> > Indeed it does that. However there are gopher, wais, and other things
> > that are as powerful but less visually attractive. Sure the Web will
> > remain, but people will get used to it and the hysteria will stop.
>
> I got a recent news on the Net, I cannot trace it, but the Web has quietly
> replaced Gopher; 70% of information retrieval is over the web now. There is
> not a single hysteria over the Web. What you see is over-exploitation, as is
> the norm for a technology in search of an identity. Look at the development
[...]

There is quite a lot of hysteria *ABOUT* the web, not *OVER* (meaning
posted on the Web sites). Everyone now rushes onto the Web,
hyperventilates about which browser is the best and so on. Even
government Ministers who should be concerned with getting Internet
into schools worry about their lack of visibility, because they hear
so much about this...

As an example:

  I installed http://www.net.na/namidef/ a couple of days after we went
  on line, and upgraded it a month later to contain some meaningful
  info. Because of the line speed I kept it purposefully without
  graphics. So the local newspapers started to whine about the WWW and
  that nobody is jumping on the bandwagon and so on, so we pepped it up,
  with some graphics but kept the text content identical. Hot reviews
  ensued. Now we are working on getting the graphics files smaller so it
  loads more efficient.

The point is that many people, who don't really use the Internet
equate the Internet with the Web. Which it is not. And which is what I
meant. There will always be WWW pages, but they won't be on the front
pages of Newsweek any more.

> > Face it, it is a toy. Show me a site that your can really use for
> > work :-)-O...
>
> http://www.altavista.digital.com

70% of the information retrieval may well be via the WWW, but did you
analyze what this information is?

Neither Altavista, Lycos nor Yahoo qualify. They are incedibly useful
search engines but please tell me how to find a medical data base
there (and I mean one that I can use professionally, such as MEDLINE
for example). Show me a fishery's data base. There is a
hydrogeological database advertised on the Web, which is the result of
research off Namibia's shores. However the database itself you have to
buy, it's just the advertising.

Make no mistake, WWW is a great toy, but it is very much overrated.

And then we read all this politically correct worry about content,
African WWW and so on, I can only laugh. Put an access counter into
ones page, quite interesting how few people actually loose their way
onto one's page.

> BTW: I suppose you run on Linux? Another of those great software toys?

Well, it's a great platform, but only after several years have I found
a data base system that comes close to being usable. I have tried
ingess and postgress and some of the other small ones, but only
recently found msql, which is fascinating. Hooks well into HTML, by
the way :-)-O.

I haven't yet found a decent statistics system that I can afford to run
(they are working on SAS, but I can plain not afford it) other then
the nice litle |STAT package (that I played with 1986 already).

I'm one of those guys who write letters with emacs and TeX...

el

--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse   \         /              Swakopmund State Hospital
<[log in to unmask]>            *        |               Resident Medical Officer