> I am not sure of the crystal glass Dr Lisse looked into (Ebonite maybe). I
> thought that the web is helping people organize information in newer
> dimensions! What is the current technology challenging this? I do agree with
> Nemo that the web will outlive the TCP/IP suite.

Dr Lisse Responded:
> Indeed it does that. However there are gopher, wais, and other things
> that are as powerful but less visually attractive. Sure the Web will
> remain, but people will get used to it and the hysteria will stop.

I got a recent news on the Net, I cannot trace it, but the Web has quietly
replaced Gopher; 70% of information retrieval is over the web now. There is
not a single hysteria over the Web. What you see is over-exploitation, as is
the norm for a technology in search of an identity. Look at the development
of the Aeroplane: It started as a toy but today, ferries people over
thousands of Kilometers. Those who still think it can drop out of the sky
never fly in it. There is also my Uncle, who does not drink in-flight beer,
because he feels he is closer (up there) to God!

> Face it, it is a toy. Show me a site that your can really use for
> work :-)-O...

http://www.altavista.digital.com

For guys who read the blinking lights in the days of Eniac 1, maybe that
will not make any sense. For guys who were MIS managers when the PC was being
smuggled in thru the backdoor, the PC still is a toy!

Astaluego

Sunday A. Folayan

BTW: I suppose you run on Linux? Another of those great software toys?