> >How might the Internet better help rural
> >Africans communicate locally as well as internationally?
>
> Are you serious? Most of rural Africa has no electricity, much less phone
> lines?

Isn't this a bit stereotyped view of Africa?

Just about everywhere I went in Africa to regional towns there was
some hotshot radio technician who had learned how to cope with very
primitive resources, there were local industries which had some kind
of wire or wireless communication with the outside world.

Even a dumb terminal can be hooked up via a home-brew modem to a
server in the capital city.  We have that here in France, it's called
the Minitel, and it serves fairly well, if only the operators weren't
such money-grubbers.

Remember that for many years the Internauts in the USA did very well
with primitive means.

Roger Wiesenbach
http://www.liber.net/law-france/