Dear David, Clement, Jean-Paul, Menghestab, Eberhard, others -

This discussion has been screaming to all of us that Africans must
themselves be involved in planning and 'doing' African development;
also, that most Donor activities, however meritorious, have been
ineffective precisely because they lacked such community involvement.

We have heard:
* David: Must go from "supply-driven top-down to demand-driven bottom-up"
* Clement:  "Help ME carry MY load"
* Jean-Paul: "Some of us have [already taken risks]... and surviving."
* Menghestab:  "Africa can develop only by Africans"
* Eberhard: "Thinking about development doesn't help. Doing is much better"

So please tell me: As donor projects continue to emerge (for example,
from USAID, World Bank, etc.), just how will this "Community" mobilize
and engage in constructive developments, to take full advantage of the
business opportunities being presented?

(As I see it, the aim is to get The Community to coordinate and collaborate;
that is more feasible than getting Donors to coordinate and collaborate!)

Suppose, just for the sake of discussion, donors asked "The Community"
to submit innovative I.T. proposals - to provide services that were
affordable and accessible to many, sustainable, introduced creative
market applications, and which (for want of a modest investment to help
get started or expand) satisfied Donor mission goals for infrastructure
developments?   Proposals with collaborations or partnerships, either
national or international, would be favored.

Would this approach yield responses from the indigenous "Community"?

Tony V.