We haven't addressed this issue as much as others, but allow me to pick up a
thread begun by Abongwa Ndumu.  He said:

>I'll go for the reverse effect here. I think we need to develop the >Internet
in Africa to reverse western imperialism. If a lot Africans >have access to
the Internet, we can start pumping bytes of African culture and >values to the
rest of the world.

Let me begin by tossing out a number that struck me when I first saw it.
Africa has 2% of the world's phone lines.  It also produces 2% of the world's
book titles.

The point this raises for me is that there are two infrastructure issues:
  Carrier infrastructure
  Content infrastructure

We are rightly concerned about access to information in Africa, but too often
forget that Africa can (and should) also be an information PRODUCER.  We in IT
may be principally interested in carrier issues, but I hope somebody is
working on content.  Africa has a story to tell, but it isn't being told.

Bill Wresch formerly of the University of Namibia now University of Wisconsin
- Stevens Point