Dr Eberhard Lisse Wrote:
> And top down just doesn't work, I can give you numerous examples. Just
> look at the container in the back yard of  AOU Teaching Hospital with
> the ICU inside because the manual is in German. Or the Fetal Monitors
> proudly displayed but not working.

ICU I believe is Intensive Care Unit? Well, those who need it in Nigeria will
go to Eko Hospital or Cromwell in England! Teaching Hospitals don't serve
that role in this country!. At the risk of sounding negative, that was
probably a dump, not a request from OAU (Obafemi Awolowo University,
Ile-Ife).

> How many lives could have been saved here?

Quite a substantial number are being saved in Saudi-Arabia, by Nigerian
doctors. That is the situation we are living with!!!

> Why has Nigeria with its huge oil revenue never managed to lease an
> international data circuit?

Who is attempting to? Right now the Communications Company is asking for
Circa $25,000/Month for a 64k leased line. Since there is no guarantee that
the line will be on continuously, that is a big risk to take. Private
investors are not interested. It is not sustainable.

> They are being dialled from the outside by at least four different
> organizations that I know of. And there is quite some empire building
> within these initiatives local partners.

I will boldly state that Capacity building is the major problem now. I got
flamed at the Nigeria Internet Group's Conference last year. Truth is bitter,
but it was laid down! Early this month, I was at YabaTech and we did useful
collaboration. Everyone is concerned about the Net within now. The Cc list on
my mail will confirm if you ask them. I look forward to my pilgrimage to Ife.

> There is no incentive here at all to become sustainable...

I assure you I have found something you will have to eat back. I will like
to, for once do what I admire you for: -- this :-)-O

> And I am not bashing Nigeria, it is just that I have actually been there...

I believe you. Most of us probably were in High school then! You must
understand that If it is not a World Bank financed Contract, or an African
Development Bank assisted project, it is not worth executing in Nigeria. BTW:
Why has RINAF not invited you to mount an Anglophone Unix course in Nigeria?
I am curious!

The 14.4 wasn't the issue. Also that I can get 48K effective out of the 14.4K
6000 characters per seconds with compression, batching and 'i' protocol.

> Any uucp subscriber to the current efforts within Nigeria can in
> principle get the same file within a couple of days. (And if one
> organizes this properly only one has to pull it).

Most Private Companies and NGOs have links. UUCP, Dial-up PPP and so on.
People are not talking loud because if the communication company knows you
are moving heavy stuff and rely on your line, some jughead there may just cut
you off.

We are making progress. I assure you.

Regards

S. A. Folayan