Hello there,

We have been discussing the issue of Internet influence on rural development
for some time now. Can we move to the next step and try to find means of
cooperating with each other in writing project proposals and getting support
for the benefit of the rural areas. I know this list consists of many
experienced researchers, managers, doctors, economists Funding organisations
etc. We could learn a lot from each other. Let us move on and be a bit more
productive.

A good such example of a project proposal was what Jeff prepared sometime ago onsetting up an interent service. Once we start talking about specific projects
then a lot of things will start becoming clearer.

For example,

I would like to start an information center (Library with few computers for
training that can be booked by who ever has a library card). The library will be used by teachers, students, civil servants basically anybody who gets a librarycard. People will be able to get a card for small fee. There will be a lot of
information on DIY (Do it your self projects) and also on intermediate
technology to help rural development. Most of the information the library holds will be on CD-ROM. A translation facility to the local language will be part of
the service. Audo visual preparation in the local language and using local materials will be considered.
No email facility to begin with!!.

This is different from a caffee or kiosk service.

Initially, I intend to start this in three neighboring towns. The libraries will
be linked or wired with each other if possible!! I will be posted in one of them
and help the other two centers from there.

Can somebody help me develop this into a proper project proposal. How much will
it cost me? Will it be sustainable? How much should the card fee be? I am
prepared to put some of money into the project but would I be able to get
assistance from organisations like USAID!!

This is just an example but I am serioulsy thinking about it.

Menghestab Haile

Dr. Menghestab Haile                  WORK TEL 01734 875123 ext 7380
University of Reading                 FAX 01734 352604
Department of Meteorology             email [log in to unmask]
Reading                               HOME TEL (01734) 869671
RG6 2AU
United Kingdom