Sorry Valerie, but you've lost me on this one.

Do you mean to suggest that if people in Africa gain the ability to publish
their own web pages they will publish the same stuff we're used to so far
because their education is based on Western principles?  Brushing past the
mistaken notion that all educated Africans are educated in the West, are we
to assume that Africans are so shallow as to be wholly formed by their
education alone?  Can we assume that of Americans?

What is the problem with the "elites in gov't and in universities" having
access to the Internet?  This has certainly been the case in the West for
the last ten years and remains pretty much true still, although in the last
12 months we have seen more commercial interests join the fray.

What I find most puzzling about this conversation is that an African has
been speaking and relaying some African values and yet you challenge Abongwa
to provide examples.

Perhaps you are asking for examples which you can recognize...

Cheers!

-- Cliff

At 05:41 PM 4/25/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Abongwa Ndumu wrote:
>>
>>I'll go for the reverse effect here. I think we need to develop the
>>Internet in Africa to reverse western imperialism. If a lot Africans
>>have access to the Internet, we can start pumping bytes of African culture and
>>values to the rest of the world.
>>

>Which strata of African societies are you referring to?  "....a lot...."
>The elites in gov't and in universities?    Many of whom are Western
>educated, and are familiar with Western culture?  The peasants, to whom the
>internet means nothing, at least in its current form?
>
>Why don't you start right now?  "....start pumping bytes of African culture
>and values to the rest of the world."  Give us some examples, to illustrate
>your point.
>
>Valerie Bruce

-----
Cliff Missen