On Thu, 21 Mar 1996 17:29:46 +0003 you wrote:

>I don't want to extend this discussion unduly, but nobody has
>mentioned as yet that nothing is known of Jesus' life between the
>ages of 12 (precocious encounter with scribes) and 30 (start of
>ministry). He almost certainly travelled about the known world
>("And did those feet in ancient time walk upon England's mountains
>green?") and could have obtained schooling in anything there was to
>learn. (Visits to Tibet?). He had supernatural powers anyway, so
>Greek would've been pi to him.

Ooh, British Israelism (wacky) and the TIbet trip (goofy) all in the
same message. I'll admit to being ready to dismiss British Israelism
out of hand because of its strong anti-Semitic connections (one of the
premises is that the people who call themselves Jews today really
aren't and that the Anglo-Saxons are the "real" Jews). The Tibetan
connection is based on a proven forgery from the late 19th C.

As for Jesus' travels, if one ignores the probably ahistorical trip to
Egypt, the scope of Jesus' world was really rather small (look at a
map sometime). The record that we have would indicate that Jesus was
not of exceptional upbringing. In any event, this has gone way off
topic and I'll do my best to help keep it from continuing on-list.
(but first, I had to get my Last Word in)

-dh
--
Don Hosek                          [log in to unmask]
909-621-1291                       fax: 909-625-1342