<<Now, hang on, pardner!  Making a blanket statement such as "American have
no respect for other people" is no better than saying "All whites are
racist."  Just not true.  I'm living proof.

Interestingly, the "great melting pot" theory seems to have been a "dream"
inclusive of "assimilating" cultures, rather than "integrating" them,
whether they wanted to or not.  The dream fell apart when the other
cultures weren't given a choice.

Good point, Eve.  I was feeling a bit incensed at the time I wrote that--and
somewhat prone to generalities.  Lately, I've been reading a book entitled
LIES MY TEACHER TOLD ME.  It's about a number of points in American History
that are either overlooked or outright modified in high schools all over this
country.

--Mic