I am in full agreement with you that the conflict in Northern Ireland is
several centuries old. I find it absurd when someone speaks of the
conflict as merely an occurence of the past quarter-century. However,
Ulstermen vs. Irishmen does not reflect the political realities of E/ire
at anytime during the historical period. Legend is often (perhaps even
usually) based on history, but we are often dealing with stories that are
adjusted for the purposes of a heroic society. Where truth stops, myth
begins. Where this point is depends on the situation and one's
interpretation of it.

Raghnall