Hi Lynette, and in response to  your posting....
>although i find jungian ideas interesting, i think you have to bear
>in mind that he had no *ultimate* position to speak *truth*.

I agree -- but he did develop a model which helps to validate the
experiences which some people have which don't get validated by the
domanant, Enlightenment, left brained, "scientific" culture. A lot
of Jungians have made him into a kind of god and ceased to challenge
him, so his model hasn't gotten extended much, just explored.

Amusingly (to me) a good friend of mine has successfully combined
neo-Freudian and Jungian techniques in his practice. When I edited his
dissertation and discovered this, it felt blasphemous, but I got over
it :)  These different models can be viewed as various tools in your
cranebag.  Throughout your life you scrounge up more tools and perfect
the ones you already have.

The older I get the more truth looks like a tree with a lot of leaves
and fruit. It looks different from various points of view. Maybe if you
are enlightened or high on better drugs than I found in my misspent youth,
you can "grok" it in its entirety. In lieu of that vision, I look for
pleasing views and pick ripe fruit and try to contain arguments over which
apple is the best apple. Oh, and not step on the rotten ones lying beneath.
If you watch out for rotten apples too intently you can't find the ripe ones
and you definitely miss the view. But if you get into the view too much,
do your shoes ever suffer!  Then there's worms, but enough because a guy
with a funny hat has just appeared in the tree, and I want to go climb up
and see what he's about.....

Linda Merle