> Date:          Sat, 10 Feb 1996 07:33:49 -0800
> From:          Jerry Morley <[log in to unmask]>

> It appears that the peace is over. Whatever goodwill that the IRA had
> built up over the past 17 months is now gone with that garage bombing.
> An Irish friend of mine once said that "The Irish are their own worst
> enemy."

Yes, the IRA may have hurt their own cause with the bomb, but we must
admit that the Brits were being pretty obstinate. I expected
something like this to happen. The Brits had taken the attitude that
since the IRA had ceased their violence, there was no point in making
any concessions. After all, the Brits had what they wanted, so why
give the edjits in Ireland anything more (at all?)

It is very discouraging to get hopes built up that peace would at
last be in your home streets, then to wait and wait for the other
side to fulfill their end of the bargain, only to hear them blather
continuously for more on your side.  The IRA solution is not - in my
humble opinion - the right one. The loss of life on either side is
wrong. But some of the blame - perhaps most of the blame - should be
laid on the Brits.

May this get some positive action going.

God grant us peace.

Bobby Collins
University of Arkansas at Little Rock