An accurate listing of high kings from the time of Conor mac Nessa will
be blank for several centuries. The highest grade of king described in
the classical law tracts, according to Donncha O/ Corra/in, is the "ri/
ruirech, or 'king of overkings,' who is identified with the king of a
provence." I have understood from my readings that the concept of ard ri/
did not emerge until the couple of centuries immediately preceding Brian,
and in practice, was rarely a universally recognized office.

Raghnall Tomas Og O Cearbhaill