This is what Robin Williamson told me several years ago when he was trying to
get folks interested in saving it.  That would have been about 1990.  I don't
know if The Woodland Trust or one of the other organisations over there have
done anything about it.  He stressed that it had once been a tremendous
forest and that the encroachment of civilisation had brought it down to that
tiny plot of trees.

There may be more pockets of trees, just as Sherwood has a few acres here, a
few there, along the swath which was once twenty miles long and eight miles
wide in some places.  It may be that the eight-acre figure is the largest
contiguous area of trees.  I don't know.  I'd like to find him and find out.

Ruadh