In a message dated 96-02-04 16:21:02 EST, Anelle Kloski wrote:

>> Tom Knapp recently mentioned Goodrich's book on Arthur as being
>> "excellent" - and I want to ask some of the more scholarly on this list
>> just how well thought of she is.

Anelle, I can't pretend to be one of the more scholarly on this list, but I
found this book, as well as her books on Guinevere and Merlin, to be very
convincing.  Let's face it, we'll never know the answers to these fascinating
questions, but at least Goodrich bases her theories on the linguistic
evidence, which is more than can be said for some of our tale-spinners!  Oh,
and by the way, someone must think well of her, as she holds several degrees,
including a Ph.D in French and Romance Philology  :-) !

Since I've not read my mail for several days I was glad to see that the
controversy concerning St. Pat and the snakes goes ever onward.  Apparently
the dear soul has some determined supporters!  For those of us who are made
uncomfortable by the snakes=pagans equation being so simplistic and
straightforward, may I (straightforwardly) point out that logical thinking
often displays those very traits!

I would like to thank Lee Sinoff for the lovely post.  I truly enjoyed it.
  Those of us who love Irish music find ourselves being "opened" by it, don't
you think? It somehow makes me more conscious of the past and the future, the
importance of honest emotion, and
yes, the "interconnectedness" of our existence.  In the short time I've been
on the list,
however, I've seen no mention of my own favorite, Van Morrison.  Granted, he
may be less (a lot less) traditional than others, but a more Irish soul never
lived! Surely there's
at least one closet Van fan out there?

Lynn Penick
Who's brown-haired, but a Kelly nonetheless