On Feb 28,  4:46pm, Paul Trexler wrote:
> I checked with my travel agent (AAA) on auto rentals in Ireland. Picking up
> and dropping off in Dublin with Hertz (AAA's consort), it would run circa
> $650 for a mid-size auto for two weeks with unlimited miles. Any ideas on
> this?  I would guess this price is very competitive, but don't know.  Is
> rail perfectly acceptable, or, as in America, is an auto essential?

A car is essential if you want to go anywhere in limited time.
There's not much rail service to speak of anymore, the bus system
(well, it's "systems", many private companies) is complicated & takes time,
& doesn't go to places you probably want to get to; at least, doesn't
get there at the right time.

I think you could get better prices by looking around a little.  The
Republic is traditionally very dear for car rental.  It may be cheaper
to rent in the UK even with the ferry ride, I don't know.

It's usually much cheaper to rent in Northern Ireland.

Also, "think small".

Petrol/gas is really expensive compared to our prices (3-5x).

Others with  up-to-date info may want to comment.