On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Trena McCraine wrote:

> >And, do the people on this list agree with the idea that a culture's
> >highest level of expression is it's language? And without the culture's
> >language the true culture ceases to exist? What of the other forms of
> >expression that a culture might make?
> >
> >Tom Mungall
>
> Personally, I think a culture's highest level of expression is its
> music. Language can shape music and a culture can express many things
> about itself through music that can be more easily grasped by other
> cultures.
>
> Danny McCraine

Language, music -- both are very expressive of a culture, but I would
also have to put in a vote for food.  A peoples' food speaks volumes
about their tastes (no pun intended), their manners, etc.  Try to think
of the Chinese without thinking of chop-sticks and rice.  Or the Mexicans
without chiles and tortillas.  Or the Scottish without Haggis.

...or the Americans without McDonalds?  It fits.

James